Posts for tag: Athlete's Foot
What spreads easily, causes itching, burning, and blistering between the toes, and affects people of all ages? It's athlete's foot, or Tinea pedis, an all-too-common skin infection of the foot. At Diamond Podiatry & Podiatry Associates of Lehigh Valley in Bethlehem, Macungie, and Quakertown, PA, your podiatrists see many cases of this stubborn fungal problem. They help their patients effectively prevent it and treat it for healthier, happier feet.
The best medicine
Prevention is best where many health conditions are concerned, and athlete's foot is no different. To avoid the cracking, burning, itching, blistering, and peeling common to infection with Tinea pedis, try these common-sense strategies:
- Wash your feet with soap and water every day, and dry them completely with a clean towel. Avoid sharing towels--even with your family--as this fungus spreads via skin to skin contact, towels, shoes, and wet gym, shower, and swimming pool areas.
- Wear clean dry socks every day, and change your shoes whenever they become sweaty. Tinea pedis thrives in dark moist areas such as your sneakers after a run or a heavy workout.
- Use over the counter anti-fungal spray before you get an infection.
- Trim your nails with clean clippers, and cut straight across--never at an angle.
- Do not go barefoot in public areas.
Visiting your podiatrist in Bethlehem, Macungie, and Quakertown, PA
Stubborn cases of athlete's foot require treatment by a podiatrist. If your symptoms do not improve within a couple of weeks, please see one of our four podiatrists for a quick visual inspection. Our physicians typically recommend drugstore antifungal sprays, creams or ointments, but sometimes, a topical or oral prescription is needed.
Additionally, if you are diabetic, do not delay coming in for treatment. Even mild cases of athlete's foot can lead to foot ulcers in a diabetic individual due to depressed immunity and higher blood glucose levels.
You can when you stay ahead of athlete's foot. If you're struggling with this podiatric aliment, please contact one of our three convenient locations and book an appointment. For the Bethlehem or Macungie offices of Diamond Podiatry & Podiatry Associates of Lehigh Valley, call (610) 865-0311. In Quakertown, phone (215) 529-5222.