According to estimates by the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS) one million patients experience ankle injuries every year. If you have pain in your ankle, there are a few possible explanations for it. There are also a number of treatments that a podiatrist at Diamond Podiatry in Bethlehem, Macungie and Quakertown, PA can administer to relieve your ankle pain and improve your ankle function.
Function of the Ankle
The ankle is the meeting point between the foot and the leg. It allows you to pivot and turn with fluid movements. It's particularly important for athletes like basketball and tennis players to have healthy, strong ankle bones and joints. When there is a severe chronic pain in the ankle, even standing still for a period of time can be a challenge. If you've ever had an experience where your ankle temporarily “gives out” you know how essential the ankle is to walking, running and performing your daily duties.
What Causes Ankle Pain?
Your daily activities and routine can lend a lot of insight into why you are experiencing ankle pain. Here are a few common causes:
- Ankle sprain (most common)
- An ankle fracture (commonly caused by high-level athletic activity)
- Achilles tendinitis (often affects runners)
- Ankle instability (can happen when you spend a lot of time on your feet or after repeated sprains)
- Arthritis (can be caused by aging, immune disorders or failure to exercise)
- Bursitis (caused by repetitive motions in the ankle)
Treatments for Ankle Pain
Persistent ankle pain is a condition that should be treated as soon as possible to maintain the overall health of your feet. Your Bethlehem, Macungie and Quakertown podiatrist may recommend one or more of the following treatments for your ankle:
- Special exercises and stretching
- Compression bandages
- Ice therapy
- Custom orthotic shoes to better support the ankle
- Surgery to tighten ligaments
- Ankle replacement surgery in some advanced cases
Get Rid of Ankle Pain
Ankle pain is not something that you just have to live with. Relief and treatment is available at Diamond Podiatry in Bethlehem, Macungie and Quakertown, PA. Call today to schedule an appointment with a licensed podiatrist.